- How We Help
- Conditions & Disorders
Our free resources help you stay informed and educated about mental health, brain development, and childhood trauma as well as how KVC Hospitals is working toward building healthier communities.
- About Us
Psychiatric Residential Treatment
KVC Hospitals is taking many precautions to keep our clients and employees healthy and safe during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here to learn about the preventative measures we have implemented.
Psychiatric residential treatment provides youth with intensive clinical services in a home-like environment with 24-hour supervision and support from our trained clinicians and staff. Youth learn emotion regulation and coping skills and receive opportunities to practice their new skills while enjoying fun and educational community outings.
Our primary goal is to help each child safely transition back to their community with improved emotion regulation and cognitive processing abilities.
Find a KVC Hospitals location offering residential psychiatric treatment near you.
If you’re concerned about your child’s mental health or would like to make a client referral to KVC Hospitals:
Residential Treatment Includes:
- Full medical, clinical and nursing assessments
- Intensive psychiatric care and medication management
- Individual, family and group therapy sessions
- Case coordination
- Innovative treatment and education to teach youth about their brains and how to regulate their emotions
- Accredited alternative education for grades K-12. Children are able to receive credits, educational testing, and IEP services.
What to Expect During Admission
When a client or family arrives for admission, a nurse or other healthcare professional will meet them in our lobby and escort them to one of our visiting rooms. In this room, KVC will:
- Ask parents/guardians to complete the admission paperwork, providing consent and contact information
- Provide education about the treatment program and our highly-trained staff
- Assign the client a bedroom
- Integrate the client into therapeutic activities as soon as possible
We know that sometimes it can be difficult for parents/guardians to be onsite with their child due to different life circumstances. When that is the case, as long as the parents/guardians send us the completed consent paperwork we can complete the admission process over the phone.
View our Admissions Handbook to learn more about the admissions process and our residential treatment program.
What to Expect at Discharge
To help ensure continued success, our treatment team works with each child’s parents/guardians to create an aftercare plan and coordinate follow-up care in their home community. We believe that follow up services are essential to a child’s sustained progress, and when possible, we will help schedule these appointments.
Aftercare services might include individual therapy, family therapy/education, specialized educational services, medication management, psychosocial/supportive groups, substance use treatment, attendant care and/or case management services.