- How We Help
- About Us
Psychiatric Residential Treatment
KVC Hospitals is taking many precautions to keep our clients and employees healthy and safe during the coronavirus pandemic. Click here to learn about the policies we have implemented.
Psychiatric residential treatment allows youth to transition to a home-like environment with the support of our trained clinicians and staff. Youth receive intensive clinical services in a structured environment, attend our accredited alternative school, and practice the skills they are learning while enjoying various community outings.
Our primary goal is to help each child safely transition back to their community with improved emotion regulation and cognitive processing skills.
Residential Treatment Includes:
- Full medical, clinical, and nursing assessment
- Intensive psychiatric care and medication management
- Individual, family and group therapy sessions
- Case coordination
- Innovative treatment and education to teach youth about their brains and how to regulate their emotions
- Accredited alternative education for grades K-12. Children are able to receive credits, educational testing, and IEP services while enrolled in KVC Academy (Kansas City & Hays) or Niles Prep (Kansas City, MO).
What to Expect During Admission
A KVC Hospitals professional will greet you upon arrival and work with you to complete the admissions process. During this process, KVC will:
- Ask parents/guardians to complete a set of forms, providing consents and contact information
- Provide education about the treatment program and our highly-trained staff
- Assign the client a bedroom
- integrate the client into therapeutic activities as soon as possible
Parents/guardians are also given an Admissions Handbook with detailed information about our services, facilities, program schedules, and policies for phone calls and visits with your child.
What to Expect at Discharge
To help ensure your child’s continued success after their stay at KVC Hospitals, our treatment team will work with you to create a discharge/aftercare plan and coordinate follow-up care in your home community. We believe that aftercare and follow up services are essential to your child’s sustained progress, and when possible, we will help schedule these appointments.
Aftercare services might include individual therapy, family therapy/education, specialized educational services, medication management, psychosocial/supportive groups, substance use treatment, attendant care and/or case management services.